Tags can be made of paper, cardboard or plastic film. Promotional tags can also take the form of small, multipage brochures used for advertising and marketing in order to promote campaigns, special offers, competitions and the launch of new products. Tags can additionally be used:
- As carriers for small extras, such as stickers or samples
- To provide additional product and manufacturer's information or instructions for use
- As technical information labels
- For identification in order to facilitate internal tracking from production to despatch
- As blank, holed punched tags for self-identification by the user; these can also be combined with self-adhesive or carbonless copy paper label elements (sandwich labels)
- As tags preprinted with company names, standard texts or barcodes for subsequent individual inscription using digital (inkjet, thermal, thermal transfer and laser) printers.